NAMI Fairfield invites Guest Speakers to join us on the first Wednesday of the month (except for July and August) from 7:30-9:00 p.m. in the Eliot Room Library, First Church Congregational, 148 Beach Road, Fairfield, CT.
These informative and interesting presentations are free of charge and open to the public. Light refreshments are served.
For more information about the NAMI Fairfield Speaker Meetings please email Ann Hulinsky at elizabeth.graham [at] yale.edu.
We hope you will join us!
Speaker Meeting Wednesday, February 7th, 7:30-9:00pm
First Church Congregational, 148 Beach Rd, Fairfield
The Town of Fairfield’s Honorable Judge Daniel Caruso will visit us to discuss how conservatorship can help you and your loved one suffering from mental illness.
The Probate Court becomes involved in the lives of individuals who are incapable of caring for themselves and/or their property. The Court is entrusted with the responsibility of protecting the interests of these individuals. This duty is carried out by the appointment of a conservator, who is authorized by law to provide supervision and who is, in many respects, an agent of the Court. As there are various types of conservatorships, it is recommended that anyone considering a conservatorship contact the Court, as well as competent legal counsel
Judge Caruso’s presentation will take place 7:30-9:00 pm at First Church Congregational, 148 Beach Road in Fairfield.
Download Speaker Flyer PDF about this month’s event.
Do you have an idea for our speaker meetings? Please share your suggestions. Send us a note to namifairfield [at] gmail.com.
Recap of some of our recent guest speakers:
- Bridge House’s Programs help adults with mental illness reintegrate into their communities, regain employment and advance their education.
- Lawrence W. Berliner, special education attorney, discussed details on special education laws and how parents can pursue their child’s educational rights.
- Dr. Toral Surti is an Associate Professor at Yale University and a clinical psychiatrist in the Schizophrenia Neuropharmacology Group.
- Dr. Maggie Davis with the Yale Translational Brain Imaging Program, spoke about neurotransmitter systems’ role in mental illness and available treatments. She graciously shared her slide presentation with us here.
- David Fitzpatrick, author of memoir, Sharp: My Story of Madness, Cutting and How I Reclaimed My Life
- Dr. Demitri Papolos, Childhood Bipolar Disorder
- John Hamilton, Co-Ocurring Disorders, Recovery Network of Programs
- Dr. Debra Slade, Spirituality & Mental Health, Norwalk Hospital
- Dr. Michelle Albright, Tools to Keep Calm and Carry On, Weston Youth Services
- Denique Weidema-Lewis, We can all save lives, RYASAP
- Dr. Margaret McClure, Borderline Personality Disorder, Fairfield University